Friday, June 4, 2010

Cheeze.. please!

One of the hardest things I have been having a time with is cheese. I miss it.. I crave it and I want it now!
I have tried a brand of Vegan Cheeze ( who will remain nameless) and  even when I closed my eyes really- really tight, it still tasted like throw up.. there I said it.. out loud. And at the ridiculous price of nearly $6.00 a pound, unless I hit another sale on fake cheese, I doubt I will try another.
Soo.. I played with nutritional yeast instead. It tastes more "cheese like" then the other stuff, even if it does look like mustard.


I used the "standard base recipe" and I say this because really there is not much more between everyone recipe's then perhaps a spice here or there, mine is no exception and I'm sure its been done way before I ever dreamed of trying to become Vegan!
1 cup Nutritional Yeast (large or small flakes)
1/2 cup of flour (of your choice)
a bit of salt
a plop of mustard and/or spices ( again your choice and as to the amount.. I tend to not measure so I would suggest to start small and add more after you give it a taste)
1 1/2 cup water ( Or Broth or Soy, rice, oat beverage of your choice)
 Pretty much standard right?
Okay but I can never get the lumps out of any Gravy/sauce if I just  add wet to dry and stir. So... I like to make a roux out of a fat and flour. For Some reason I never have any lumps if I make it this way.
I think it kind of changes the taste of any sauce.. makes it deeper and more of a nutty flavor.
So that is how I make my base but out of desperation one evening I added a bit of liquid smoke and dash of smoked paprika... um YUM! Try it! It took it to a whole other level!

Okay so like next time I will have some pics.... but I have been pretty busy with family...

No comments:

Post a Comment